Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lulav Decoration/קישוט הלולב

 
ב׳ חול המועד סוכות תשע״ו

Upon seeing my lulav, I cannot tell you how many times people have make comments about how hippy-dippy my lulav looked, or that I made this up, or that there was a problem with hatzitzah, separation between the parts of the lulav, and thus disqualifying it for use.

Needless to say, I encountered a lot of people who made it there business to tell me such things.


But, actually...
משנה תורה ז,י [יא]
עשה לאגודה זו גימון של כסף ושל זהב, או שכרך עליה סדין ונטלה--יצא:
Mishneh Torah, Laws of Lulav 7:10 [11]
If one wraps a silver or gold chord around the bundle, or wraps cloth and took it up, he has fulfilled his obligation [of the mitzvah].
לפי משנה סוכה ג,ח ותלמוד בבלי מסכת סוכה לו,ב שימוש בגימון של זהב מעשה אנשי ירושלים. ואז אני שמח להשתתף בחידוש המנהג הזה!

חג שמוח!

Specifically, the use of a gold chord appears to have been something done by those in Jerusalem (See Mishnah Sukkah 3:8, TB Sukkah 36b), so I feel great about doing my to bring this custom back!

Hag Same'ah!

No comments:

You Might Also Like...